What you guys playing these days?

DeftOne

Re: What you guys playing these days?

Postby DeftOne » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:06 am

I thought the Hammer editor was OK back in the day when I actually used it. Not sure how it holds up today. I guess the fact that it exists is about as much as you can hope for when compared to where games are going these days (no editors at all, DLC only content, etc). It was a bit frustrating to use at first, but like anything, becomes easier with practice.

The inability to figure out how to successfully import custom created objects into Hammer is what ultimately stopped my short-lived foray into Source mapping. I almost had one of my FC2 maps remade for CS:S, but just couldn't figure out how to import stuff. About once a year or so I say to myself, "Self, you should really go back and try to import stuff into Hammer again so you can finish that damn CS:S map." Then I quickly read through a few tutorials and nope the fuck out of that situation. Ain't nobody got time for that!

tropical_plague
Site Admin

Postby tropical_plague » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 am

When I look at the amount of time blown on mapping and modding back in the day it truly blows my mind. I can look at any one of about 100 maps in the collection that e sent me and think back to making that map and know that it took me 40-120 hours of work, and there's a 100 like that.... let alone figuring out all that crazy mod shit. Holy damn.

Grandpa

Postby Grandpa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Plus regular playtime.... Addict...

tropical_plague
Site Admin

Postby tropical_plague » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Grandpa wrote:Plus regular playtime.... Addict...

Only ~1100 hours per game, though.

RaZoR-FIN

Postby RaZoR-FIN » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:54 pm

I keep getting called a hacker way too often. It's not me, the scout replacement is just OP.

Seems like Dropbox decided to drop the bitrate quite significantly...

tropical_plague
Site Admin

Postby tropical_plague » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Hacker.

Grandpa

Postby Grandpa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 pm

beejanga

Postby beejanga » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 am

tropical_plague wrote: a not-as-good-version of BF3 with way worse maps and way more remote-kill gadgets. So I can't really rate it.

BFH is like a super-hyped version of FC2 with amazing cinematic action, so I rate it highly. :ugeek:

Bf4 was full of shit that annoyed me, I learned to suffer and enjoy myself. Bf3 would have probably annoyed me too :D but I agree that the bf4 maps sucked. Once I played each map a few times I went exclusively Naval Strike servers until Final Stand came out, then I played FS. Some evenings I would plan my night around when Wavebreaker was coming up in rotation. Bf showed me I got no interest in vehicle gameplay or long range combat :mrgreen:

FC2, I was mostly there for the maps :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It was a little gem though, and I can see how hardline is an extension of it.

RaZoR-FIN wrote:CS:GO. Truly seems like it took my life, I barely sleep now.

Does the aiming involved in that game bother you?

As far as importing models into engines is concerned, some dude wrote a tool that will convert obj files from a modeling program to brush geometry in Quake. This is Quake we're talking about, so you'd be importing large, static objects here. And . . . I'm not sure the tool works :mrgreen:

http://celephais.net/board/view_thread. ... 207&end=25

Return to “Tiki Bar”